Newcastle centre-back Dan Burn speaks after receiving World Cup call up
Burn likens call up to Newcastle Carabao Cup win
What will Burn’s role be in the squad?
Amid the chaos of Thomas Tuchel’s England squad announcement, one of the biggest stories is that of Newcastle United centre-back Dan Burn.
Whether you believe he should be in the squad or not, his late-career blossoming into becoming an England regular has been stuff of fairytales. Whilst Burn will likely not be a starter, Tuchel clearly both trusts his ability and leadership qualities in guiding the squad through the tournament.
In the wake of the call-up, Burn has spoken to Keith Downie about his pride in representing his country at a World Cup and just how special it is to receive a call up at this point in his career.
What did Burn say?
Speaking about his first major tournament call-up, Burn said, “I’m buzzing. I’m glad Friday is here; I’ve known for a couple of days, and I’ve not been able to say anything to anyone.
I got a text to say he (Tuchel) would call me between 4 & 6, so I was sat by my phone for hours.
“When I first got called up last year, it was a shock; I wasn’t expecting it. But this time I’ve been pretty confident about it.”
Burn also likened his call-up to his part in his boyhood club Newcastle United’s Carabao Cup win last season.
The win marked the ending of a 70-year major trophy drought for the Magpies. Burn said, “It’s a bit like us (Newcastle) winning the cup final. I’ve dreamt of it that much in my head since I was a kid that when it happened, I didn’t know how to feel about it. It’ll sink in when I start reading all the messages.”
Burn also spoke about his readiness to represent his country. Having already made a good few appearances under Thomas Tuchel, Burn has quickly become a crucial part of the German’s plans and looks to be one of the more experienced heads in the squad:
“I’m 34, but I’m not going into it with the unknown. I’ve played over 500 games now, and I think whenever I’ve had to step up in completion, I’ve done well. I’m not going there worried or anything; I’m going there full of confidence, and I want to help the team in whatever I’m asked to.”
What will Burn’s role be?
It is unknown what Dan Burn‘s role will be exactly. Whilst he will most likely spend most of the tournament watching the action from the bench, Tuchel does like Burn and could well use him more than we expect.
The Newcastle man’s competition for a starting spot is Ezri Konsa and Marc Guehi, who will almost certainly be the two starting centre-backs. John Stones and Jarell Quansah are also involved, with those two likely making up the central defender cohort who will be on the bench in America.
Burn does, of course, have the added ability of being a massive threat from corners, something which Tuchel has mentioned in his picking of the squad.
When coming up against the more physical sides, the physicality and experience of Burn could be favoured by Tuchel. Burn can also play in a back three, which may be another of the most pressing reasons that Tuchel has included his name in the 26-man squad.
