Dominik Szoboszlai has confirmed he is in talks with Liverpool over a new contract but “no decision” has yet been taken over his future.
The Hungary international has proved a big hit at Anfield since arriving from German club RB Leipzig for £60million in July 2023.
His current deal runs until 2028 with Liverpool keen to reward the 25-year-old midfielder’s development with improved terms. Szoboszlai is viewed as a potential successor to Virgil van Dijk as captain.
“Of course I am happy here but you know how football works and that is something everybody has to take into account,” he said.
“There is always progress but no decision has been made. I’ll just keep on going every week, every training session, giving my best for the team and for the fans. Let’s see what is going to happen in the future. There has been talks but for sure not any decision has been made.”
Szoboszlai has been Liverpool’s standout performer so far this season but he has found himself under scrutiny recently. Barnsley boss Conor Hourihane called him “disrespectful” after a bizarre error gave away a goal in last week’s FA Cup third round tie at Anfield. He then missed a penalty in Saturday’s 1-1 draw with lowly Burnley in the Premier League.
“For me, personally, it’s been a tough one,” he said. “I made a mistake against Barnsley but I have to make it clear it wasn’t disrespectful in my opinion. I would do the same against Arsenal, (Manchester) City and against Chelsea as well.

Szoboszlai was at fault for Adam Phillips’s goal (Jan Kruger/Getty Images)
“I didn’t want to give it back to Giorgi (Mamardashvili), I wanted to keep going but I tried to pretend that I was playing it back to him, just to make it clear. Now I missed a penalty but I’m going to keep on going. I’m going to take the next one and I’m going to score, I’m pretty sure.
“It’s the second penalty I’ve missed (the other was for Leipzig against Bayer Leverkusen in 2021). One time post, now crossbar. The next one will be in. I’m watching the goalies, they are watching me, so maybe I have to change.
“You have to forget it, that’s the best way, but of course you have to have learned from it. To be honest if you see me after every session I cannot practice more. I’m not allowed to practice more because I’m practicing as much as I can. If I have another chance I will take it.”
Arne Slot’s squad are preparing for Wednesday’s Champions League clash away to Marseille. With two rounds remaining, Liverpool currently sit just outside the top eight which they need to occupy to bypass the play-off round and go straight into the last 16.
Szoboszlai is relishing the return of Mohamed Salah to club duties following the Africa Cup of Nations. He was in regular contact with the Egyptian forward throughout the tournament in Morocco.
“Yes, to be honest, almost every day. We speak about everything,” he added. “What was said is between me and him. He will come back and then we just keep on going. He will be here and then it’s the decision of the manager and the club. It is not about us, it is about him.
“Mo is the first penalty taker but until he comes back I’m the first penalty taker. He will give me some advice on what to think about when you miss one as he’s missed a couple of times, but he keeps on going and forgets what has happened.
